Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Week Three, Thing Six

How timely. This morning I was reading a post from a friend's blog and he mentioned mashups. The word caught my attention. I could guess at the meaning, but it was a term I hadn't read or heard before. Then, what do you know: Today's Excercise on Learning 2.0 is all about Flickr mashups or hybrid web projects that take one application, such as Flickr, and merge or enhance it with another application. I clearly don't spend enough time playing on the web.

The first mashup I explored was the postcard browser on Flickr. I looked at photos of the Ukrainian Village, my old neighborhood in Chicago, and felt a bit homesick. Next, I made this mock magazine cover of my Valentine and our pup Lola using fd's Flickr Toys. It was so so easy. Just upload a digital photo, fill in content fields, and bingo, it was done.
There are so many smart people playing with the web.